Wednesday, January 16, 2013

An unexpected and incredible opportunity presented itself today. I was asked if I would like to join the promotores as they ventured into the rural communities to pass out condoms. Ummm, yes!! I had wanted to go out with them before but in truth, I was far too timid to ask. So here I was, graciously given the opportunity to accompany two other promotores on a walk to a colonia just outside of where CASA is located. At first, we walked along in shy silence. I was unsure if I should initiate a conversation for a few reasons, primarily because I was concerned that if I hopelessly involved them in a conversation I couldn't actually take part in, it would be even more awkward. Fortunately one of the promotores readily volunteered to engage me in dialogue. We discussed a range of topics, from immigration to the U.S., to prejudice, to the violence that was present in certain areas in which the promotores lived as well as the violence that is so prevalent in the United States. Although there were countless moments in which I had difficulty following along, I consciously attempted to forgo translating every word into my head as it was spoken and instead just tried to listen - a practice that I plan on doing a lot more of. These young people are fantastic. Knocking on doors and stopping people in the streets, they present themselves as promotores from CASA and sign people up to receive monthly supplies of prophylactics. They had warned me before we arrived at the colonia that there was a lot of poverty in this particular area. There were in fact houses that were constructed from cardboard. I'll make it really simple; it's hard to see, really hard. I also don't want to write about a situation that I don't understand and that would be coming from an outsiders point of view. It just doesn't seem right. It seems to come back to the work. It is my responsibility to work here... A LOT. I want to do the best I can, every day, all day. That's all most of us can do...yes? A promotore shared an extremely powerful story with me about a friend he had that had passed away. Out of respect for his privacy, I won't repeat it here but I was moved beyond the beyond that this kind young man would share his vulnerability with me. I found it difficult to refrain from saying, "Ohhh, thank you for this story!!! Can I make you a cake? Do you prefer cookies? Do you want to come over and we can make you dinner?" I did refrain...thank. goodness. I decided just to listen. Heart blown open wide for the moments we permit ourselves to connect with others. A very good night to all!

No comments:

Post a Comment