Saturday, March 23, 2013

Ah Mexiquito, how you challenge and uplift me. So much laughter, screaming, dusty teared faces. Every time I leave, I am exhausted, covered in dirt and dried weeds, orange juice, lollipop drool, boogers, and occasionally, pee. Believe it or not, even though I feel physically gross, my over all state of being is that of exhilaration. Today I helped a little one to ride a bike without training wheels. He'd manage to go a few feet on his own, crash, get up and turn around with an enormous smile and start clapping. Another beautiful moment was when I asked the young guy who had learned to ride a bike about two weeks ago, to come over and aid us. I said, "you will be a great teacher because you just learned." The exchange just about cracked my heart open. And it worked, it really worked. He was able to show his compaƱero, how to position his foot on the pedal, and how to launch himself forward. To learn to ride a bike, to fly! What an honor to be part of this incredible rite of passage. Today I also met the newest arrival to the orphanage. He's under two years old and a sweetheart. I have no idea what his circumstances are, it's not my business to be sure. As I saw Madre Lucy walking around with him, holding his hand, swinging him and the other two year old dreamboat who lives there, on the swings, I felt that at least there would be love and care here. The madres are some of the most incredible humans I have ever been around. A mountain of patience and kindness. Happy flying, bike riding, reading, walking, and eating to all!

No comments:

Post a Comment