Friday, March 15, 2013

And the day has finally arrived. It was my last "official" day as an intern at CASA. There is a possibility that I will help out here and there with events and fundraising while I live in San Miguel but I don't technically have to show up for work on Monday morning. Well, por supuesto, this last week has been a mini roller coaster ride of emotions. Although I felt a little sad, it did seem as though today was the right day to make an exit. The transition felt smooth and rounded. Last night Ted made mini chocolate and candied orange peel scones for everyone and they were enjoyed by all. My office compaƱeras and I went out to the luncheria down the street (not as a good-bye event, it just happened) where I purchased a plain cheese quesadilla and sweet coffee (for about $1.50). I enjoyed my first office "gossip" session in Spanish. It was pretty cool. Although I feel a little disheartened at times that my Spanish is not where I'd like it to be, I have also noticed the change. It's a slow progress but it's happening. The conversations flow just a bit more freely. The direct and indirect object pronouns are starting to make their ways into a sentence (at times correctly, at times... meh). When someone asks me a question I don't completely freeze up. What I feel at this point, is the joy of possibility. It is possible for me to be able to work and learn this beautiful language. The incredibly profound beauty that comes from conversing and interacting with people in another language, for me, is second to none. With fatigue, thrill, pain, and curiosity, if we let ourselves give way to the learning process, a transformation occurs. I have experienced just the beginning and I'm in! I'm in for the long haul. Thank you oh thank you for this time. Una buen noche!

No comments:

Post a Comment