Friday, March 1, 2013

The traditional weekend is here. I'm going to be honest, I'm ready for it! Even if it's just two days, I'm going to try and stay away from the computer and I'm going to try and read twenty pages of a young adult book that's in Spanish. One of today's tasks involved a jaunt through the middle of town, or, El Centro. The sky was filled with clouds this morning. The air was cold, it seemed as though rain was imminent. I felt momentarily whisked back to life in Portland. I started looking for coffee! I was on my way to the post office to deliver letters and lo and behold, there was a fairly large festival going on in front of the grand parroquia. People were dressed in gorgeous costumes, feathered headdresses and covered in a variety of face and body paint. They danced to the strength of a group of drummers. There was incense and charcoal burning. Hundreds of school kids in uniforms taking notes and pictures surrounded the square. I have been told quite a few times that one never knows when there will be a festival or parade here in San Miguel but chances are you will run into one almost daily. Yet another reason for me to feel fortunate for my time here. I actually don't mind being woken up before dawn by fireworks. I prefer it to an alarm clock! How could I have known three months ago, as I was finalizing plans to do this internship, that I would be given the duty of delivering letters to a post office as part of my time here. That this simple task would enable me to witness a dance. I have no idea, nor was I able to find out, what it was that people were celebrating. That's okay - they are!

No comments:

Post a Comment