Tuesday, March 5, 2013

In our morning trainings today, I was lucky enough to be able to watch one of the most amazing and bizarre informational videos I have ever seen - and I am pretty sure that has ever been made. The topic was quite serious - molestation. The storytelling conceit? Monkey puppets. There was the bad monkey, the one who was inappropriately touching the other monkey. This was met with some laughter by the promotores, but more seriousness than one might expect. At a certain point in the video, the monkeys stop, and break into song. Onto the screen flash animated "genitalia." We sat together listening to - "los genitalias les gusta amor"or, genitals like to be cared for. It went on to instruct us on good washing practice, with a smiling vagina, bow in hair, and a penis with a face singing away. I couldn't help but think of a kid coming home from school, met at the door by mom or dad asking, "so what did you learn in school today?" One thing that I haven't mentioned yet is how great/common the snack/junk food is here. All manner of cookie and crackers, ice cream and candy can be found in even the smallest of aborrates, or tiny convenience store. Most days I just nod at the temptation and then walk on. But today was one of those days that, after work, after being tired, a bunch of goodies just found their way into my bolsa. Oops! Oh well. Its cultural exploration. Although, Ritz crackers are pretty much the same anywhere. In seriousness, there are really quality bakeries here, with a surprising selection of treats - many different cookies and pastries, most of which I can't identify, so I have to take it on faith that they will be good. And, my friends, they always are. Today, a palmier, which is french I suppose, a donut (as good as anything I have gotten before), and a little cute swan shaped things, that as it turns out was filled with custard!!!

1 comment: