Friday, February 22, 2013

And one never knows what they may encounter in a work day! There are a zillion thank you emails to send out. There's a lot of work to be done on a computer, in an office, obscured from the sun and fresh air. Then, a young boy walked into the office searching for water. Turns out he's the son of one of the coordinators for the midwifery programs who is also a midwife and teacher at the CASA hospital. He informed me that he didn't have school today because his teacher was in a meeting, therefore he came to work with his mom. After we introduced ourselves he just sort of fell into me for a hug. We started discussing favorite fruits, the importance of recycling, and how lately, he loves to chew on grass. Then..." Do you want to do something awesome? Let's go outside to the playground and play!" Folks that would be a yes on my part. I ditched the office and the computer and tried to keep up with my new friend. He told me he could run faster than me because of his "Sketchers." We climbed the stone structure, went down slides, and played on the teeter totter. Then we went on a merry go round type of thing and he helped to spin us around until I was pretty sure I was going to throw up. Next, was the biblioteca. I read him 5 books and then he said "do you want to see the book I have in my mom's car? It's just so beautiful." This little man is so great!!! He brought the book in, which happened to be gorgeously photographed and was from the Boston aquarium. We talked about his favorite sea animal, the manray, and as he turned the pages he would say, "okay, would you like to see something awesome?" "I would love to see something awesome" I replied. Then it was back outside for another round of slides. Ahhhhh!!! How I love the curiosity and excitement of children. How they are in the moment. I miss working and hanging around kids when too much time has passed. Back to the computer with a bag of watermelon, chile, and lime...por supuesto, and happy I was able to play today.

1 comment:

  1. This made my day! Thank you awesome Leila and young man!

    ReplyDelete