Thursday, February 14, 2013

Dîa del amor y la amistad. Yes! In Mexico Valentines day is a pretty big deal. When one of my favorite co-workers walked into the office this morning we gave each other hugs and she told me that in Mexico, it's not just a day for lovers but also for friendship, hence "la amistad." I'm typically a little disgusted by Valentines day, a sentiment shared by many no doubt, but I really appreciated the focus on the love for family members and friends here. Many of the promotores had balloons and treats and were handing them out to each other. One of my lovely co-workers gave each of us a chocolate heart and a red heart lollipop. As I walked around town there were tables set up to sell marshmallow love pops, roses, jewelery, and more. Meanwhile, in the main square by the parroquia, people from all over San Miguel were gathering for the "One Billion Rising" dance that took place worldwide today. Sadly, I was not able to attend physically but I certainly felt a part of it in spirit. Knowing many women who have suffered from physical abuse, mental abuse, and rape, today I held them all close. I did pray for healing. And today I feel very loved. It took me an hour, and the help of 8 different people (with 8 different answers given) in order to find La Conexion, the post office for foreigners. Our first package! My mom's package from the U.S. arrived today. Sour gummy bears, earl grey tea, black licorice, chamomile tea the best digestion pills out there. Dearest Mum, friends and family, I LOVE YOU ALL, every day, not just today. Every day and all the time. Amor y la amistad. Un abrazo fuerte.

No comments:

Post a Comment