Wednesday, February 13, 2013

The volunteer

Yesterday I received an email from the Regional IE3 coordinator for Latin America. He was checking in with all of the IE3 interns, making sure we were all okay, and reminding us that we were more than halfway done with our internships. I just stared at my computer dumbstruck for a few moments. What if I had decided to just do the ten week internship instead of five months? I think I would be a little devastated just now. Being the volunteer coordinator at CASA and being a volunteer myself, I realize how much time it takes to build relationships within an organization. It's a tricky situation. It's difficult to refrain from letting one's expectations and personal/professional goals get in the way of the actual experience. To volunteer- an interesting phenomenon. One has to be in the position financially to do such a thing as labor gratis. Then, one must learn the art of patience, as it can take an indefinite amount of time to develop trust within an organization. It's a worthwhile idea to leave one's desire for accolades or recognition of "heroic" acts at home. Shiny, poignant music filled visions of a documentary (guilty!) in which you star... helping the less fortunate, walking through dirt villages, holding the hands of precious children, laughing crying, sharing "exotic" food, for example. Yes, best just to toss these lofty goals over your shoulder before you even get to the door. There can be language differences, cultural differences, personality differences and more. People are working, working really hard to try and make an organization function and thrive. They might have time to thank you, they might not. They are thankful. What's more, as a volunteer, one must ask themselves - why? Why do you volunteer? I actually don't think that question will be answered, personally speaking, anytime soon. If I don't concern myself with the unwarranted pressure to have fabulous and amaaaazzzinnggg experiences everyday, than I just experience working hard and sharing time with people. I don't need to be responsible for more than that. Show up my friend. It's worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment